Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Phyllis and the Celebrate Literacy Award


I need a picture. I can't believe I didn't retrieve my camera to take a picture of Phyllis Simon at our recent event. Phyllis was the recipient of our Celebrate Literacy Award. I won't bore you with my whole speech but I can't imagine Vancouver (and now North Vancouver and South Surrey) without Kidsbooks. Just the sheer luxury of a browse in Kidsbooks is something that many of us enjoy.
One of the reasons I think I crave books so much because as a child I never could get enough. I lived in a small town without a public library. The nearest bookstore was about 12 miles away. Two of my favorite memories was going to that bookstore and then spending a couple of hours at the nearby public library (and I don't even think I could borrow books from that library). That bookstore only sold hard cover books which I only received at Christmas or birthdays. Thank goodness we lived close to the states and I could find cheaper books there. Children in Vancouver are indeed fortunate. They have Phyllis and so do we!

No comments: